Jaw SurgeryBook Appointment
Patients in Grimsby and the nearby areas can have jaw surgery planned by the experienced team at Emerald Orthodontics. Jaw surgery, formally known as orthognathic surgery, is recommended in some cases where the upper and lower jaws are significantly out of alignment
Orthognathic surgery addresses anatomical and functional concerns and can also have the benefit of improving facial esthetics. Learn about jaw surgery with Dr. Jessica Nardone by scheduling your consultation today.
Do You Need Orthognathic Surgery?
If you suffer from an improper bite or jaws that are out of position, then you are a potential candidate for orthognathic surgery.
The jaws grow gradually from childhood into early adulthood. However, the upper and lower jaws may not grow in perfect harmony. There are many factors that can contribute to misaligned jaws
- Genetics: Quite often jaw issues are inherited
- Habits: Such as thumb sucking, mouth-breathing, tongue-thrusting, grinding
- Medical conditions: Like cleft lip and palate or other craniofacial abnormalities
- Missing or misaligned teeth: Can prevent the jaws from opening and closing properly and can lead to skeletal changes in the jaws
Orthognathic surgery can correct disharmony in the jaws and solve problems related to speech, chewing function, appearance, and other aspects of your oral health.
Whether you have experienced symptoms long-term, or if they have developed in recent months or years, Dr. Nardone and her team will provide a complete evaluation and diagnosis to plan a successful jaw straightening surgery.
Planning Jaw Straightening Surgery
A clinical examination is combined with a radiographic examination to properly diagnose and plan the specifics of your case.
Dr. Jessica Nardone will work in collaboration with an orthognathic surgeon who will be the one that is performing the surgical component of your case. Typically braces or aligners are used to align the teeth within the misaligned jaws first. When you are nearing the end of the tooth alignment phase of your orthodontic treatment, you will undergo orthognathic surgery to reposition your jaws. Then you will continue to see Dr. Nardone to finalize your tooth alignment for several months following the surgery. Dr. Nardone has a lot of experience with jaw straightening surgery patients. Her detail-oriented approach will give you confidence and peace of mind from your initial consultation right through your treatment to your post-operative care.
Can Braces Correct Jaw Alignment?
The joints in your body are designed to move and function in a specific way. The jaws are no exception.
Patients considering jaw surgery often ask, can braces correct jaw alignment?
Braces can provide treatment for a misaligned or poorly positioned teeth, and sometimes can improve jaw alignment, but there are limitations. For more severe defects, developmental issues, and especially issues created by trauma, jaw surgery is typically recommended.
- Ask us, can braces correct jaw alignment? We always provide caring and professional treatment for the unique case. We will recommend jaw surgery only when you need it.
- Can braces correct jaw alignment in kids? In many cases, yes, braces or certain functional appliances can correct some issues with jaw alignment and prevent the need for orthognathic surgery. But sometimes the jaw discrepancy may be too severe and jaw surgery as an adult is the most ideal option.
- If you ask can braces correct jaw alignment for TMJ issues, the answer depends on your specific bite issues. In some cases when the bite is severely misaligned, surgery is the only way to reduce the progression of TMJ pain.
Each case is unique, and your treatment will be customized to suit your needs. If you are considering jaw surgery in Grimsby, it’s time to schedule your consultation so that we can develop an effective treatment plan.
Book a Consultation for Jaw Surgery in Grimsby
Dr. Nardone is a highly experienced orthodontist ready to provide professional treatment in Grimsby. With a compassionate approach, the team at Emerald Orthodontics will ensure the best possible outcome for corrective jaw procedures. Dental health, the smile, and jaw function, along with esthetics, are integral to overall health and well-being. If you are suffering from issues related to the positioning or development of your jaw, you can get professional treatment with Dr. Nardone and her highly experienced team.
Book a consultation at Emerald Orthodontics and see how jaw surgery may or may not be the right option for you.
New Patients Always Welcome
Looking for an orthodontist in Grimsby?
We’re happily accepting new patients at our clinic!
Contact us to get started today.Book Appointment